Textpattern is an elegant content management system that is free, open source software. Web designers, developers, publishers and bloggers love its flexibility and extensibility. It has a powerful, sophisticated engine that can be infinitely tuned to suit whatever type of web site you can imagine.
Who is it for?
With its built-in simplicity, a blogger can start publishing in minutes. Designers and developers appreciate the ability to control all aspects of XHTML and CSS from the Admin interface, and with hundreds of plugins available, the power of Textpattern is easily extended.
How does it work?
Textpattern uses built-in tags to determine how dynamic content should be retrieved and displayed. You have complete control over the content and presentation, making the CMS both simple and elegant to use.
The admin interface is minimalist, efficient and clearly labelled. Designers can quickly produce well-structured, standards-compliant websites while authors can get on with publishing and editing content. Textile, which uses just a few markers to nudge plain text into fully-formatted web content, is built-in.
Full featured software and a friendly community
The core features are greatly extended through the use of plugins. Need a special function? Find the plugin, copy and paste it into the plugin field and activate. Simple as that!
There’s no need to know any PHP or jQuery coding to use TXP, though many web developers create plugins for all kinds of purposes. The friendly community forum will most likely make you a plugin if it hasn’t already been made. Unlike some other forums, the Textpattern developers themselves answer questions, listen to suggestions and write plugins.
Below are a host of other reasons to use Textpattern for your next web site. Download a free copy and start straight away.
- Direct, easy to follow interface
- Quick conversion of plain text to valid XHTML with Textile
- Browser-based organization and upload of files and images
- Articles can be protected with a password
- Adjustable date/time stamps on articles
- Flexible engine for all kinds of websites, from blogs to corporate sites
- Unlimited site sections, page layout and styling
- Browser-based template and CSS editing
- Human friendly, XML-like templating tag language
- Standards compliant by default
Secure and stable
- Anti-spam comment system that works well
- Thoroughly tested by the community before each release
- Small disk and memory footprint
- GPL source code
- Based upon popular open source components like PHP, MySQL and jQuery
Easy to manage
- Unlimited site authors can be assigned a variety of posting, editing and design privileges
- Human-readable clean URLs help SEO and visitors
- Unlimited article, link, file and image categories
- Import content from other content management and blog systems
- Up-to-the-minute visitor logs
- Forum is renowned for its friendly, helpful community
- Developers listen and solve problems
- In-depth wiki documentation
- Textpattern is available in over 40 languages, and growing
An extensible platform
- Versatile plugin concept
- Wide range of plugins provides many extra functions
- Plugin installation and maintenance is simple: Copy, paste and activate
- Browser-based plugin installation and maintenance
- Plugins are simple to write, document and publish with the standard code template or the plugin composer