Team Textpattern is pleased to announce the release of Textpattern CMS 4.7.2, available for immediate download. As a maintenance release, it serves to enhance existing features, resolve some issues discovered in previous Textpattern releases and lay some groundwork for functionality in future releases of Textpattern.
Thank you to everyone who contributed with reporting & fixing bugs, providing & improving translations and overall improvements to code, documentation and the wealth of information in the Textpattern support forum. We’re grateful to everyone who continues to help drive the project.
You can either download from the following links, or from the GitHub project repository directly (please take a moment to ‘star’ our project too if you like it!). To take full advantage of Textpattern’s multi-site capabilities, please download the
.tar.gz archive as it includes the full multi-site scaffold.
The Textpattern demo has been updated to offer Textpattern 4.7.2, and also the in-progress development version in complete safety. The demo sites are rebuilt every few hours using the Textpattern auto-installer.
Textpattern 4.7.x requires a minimum of PHP 5.4 or newer. A vendor supported PHP version is highly recommended (PHP 7.2 and PHP 7.3 have active and ongoing support at the time of writing).
Installation and upgrade
As with any Textpattern release, please ensure you log out of your admin side prior to upgrade, take and verify a site backup (database and files), and refer to the
README.txt file in the download archives for detailed instructions.
What’s new in this release?
The current HISTORY.txt outlines changes for this and previous Textpattern releases. We recommend you read the list of changes to understand how this may affect your current site, especially if you’re upgrading from older versions.
The full change set is:
- Fixed: A bug with
<txp:link_to_[next|prev] />tags in ‘month’ URL mode.
- Fixed: A bug with
<txp:search_input />will always respect its ‘form’ attribute setting, if set.
- Fixed: A bug with the global ‘not’ attribute.
- Fixed: Multibyte characters are correctly obfuscated by
- Fixed: Salutation text within emails not displaying correctly.
- Fixed: ‘problem_connecting_update_server’ language string grouping corrected.
- Fixed: Unparsed ‘must_reassign_assets’ and ‘cannot_assign_assets_to_deletee’ strings.
<txp:search_input />can be used as a container tag, and also accepts ‘aria_label’ and ‘placeholder’ attributes.
- Changed: More robust search routes within default public-side theme.
- Changed: Improved upgrade route where MySQL
- Changed: Enhanced password manager compatibility on login and user details pages.
- Changed: Extended fallback to ‘C’ locale in some situations.
- Changed: Partially translated inline help files use fallback language (by default: English) where localized help items are not present.
- Changed: Hive admin theme login panel now displays link to public site.
- Changed: Simplified Classic admin theme login panel layout.
- Changed: Fine-grained development theme preview.
- Changed: More customizable Atom/RSS feeds via ‘atom_head’, ‘rss_head’ and ‘feed_filter’ callbacks.
- Changed: Deleting an article deletes any associated comments.
- Changed: Forms, Pages and Styles accept pre-4.7 names for editing, but must be sanitized prior to saving.
- Changed: Some emoji are preserved in automatically-generated article URL titles.
- Changed: Article text blocks starting with a Textpattern tag are not Textile’d.
- Changed: File data is available on ‘file_download’ callback.
- Changed: Article lists can be split by ‘breakby’ form value.
- Changed: Expanded Schema.org media items within default public-side theme.
- Added: Latest translations.
- Added: Czech inline help translation. Many thanks to Miloš Berka for all their work.
- Added: French inline help translation. Many thanks to Lowel for all their work.
- Added: Partial Italian inline help translation. Thanks Giampiero Mellea.
- Added: Global ‘trim’ and ‘default’ attributes.
- Added: Global ‘wrapform’ attribute.
- Added: Global ‘escape=“ordinal|spell|url”’ attribute values.
- Added: ‘aria_label’ and ‘placeholder’ attributes on comment input fields.
- Added: ‘breakform’ attribute to
- Added: ‘test’ attribute to
- Added: ‘context’ attribute to
- Added: ‘context’ and ‘format’ attributes to
- Added: ‘add’, ‘reset’, ‘separator’ and ‘output’ attributes to
- Added: Custom form media (MIME) types, served as ‘flat’ files if needed.
- Added: Option to export form/page/style to disk on save.
- Added: Custom functions can be registered for use in
- Textile 3.7. See github.com/textile/php-textile/releases/tag/v3.7.0 for full list of changes in this release (thanks, gocom).
- jQuery File Upload 9.28.0.
If you find anything not working or wish to propose enhancements, please report them on GitHub, stating the version and any salient information. There are templates there for feature requests and bug reports.
We hope you enjoy this release and it serves you, your sites and clients well!