Thank you to all testers of our first Textpattern 4.8.0 beta. Your feedback helped with fixes, iterating some other features to better serve site builders, and squeezing a few extra goodies in. The second beta of Textpattern CMS 4.8.0 is now available for you to download and try.
You can download Textpattern 4.8.0-beta.2 from the links below, or from the Textpattern 4.8.0-beta.2 tag on GitHub (please take a minute to ‘star’ our project too if you like it!)
We encourage you to download this beta and help us test this release to make Textpattern the best we can. Thank you in advance for helping and raising any issues on GitHub.
If you’re undecided, you can give it a whirl in complete safety first on the revamped demo site, hosted on DigitalOcean.
Please note that Textpattern 4.8 requires PHP 5.5 or newer. An actively-supported version of PHP 7 is highly recommended for performance and security. Please refer to the official PHP Supported Versions page for details.
Please see the previous release notes and HISTORY.txt for full details of what’s coming in 4.8.0. Changes in this beta compared to the previous one:
- Developer preview pref toggles all preview ability.
- Tweak Sections panel:
- Development assets now appear below any live assets.
- Change theme/page/style’s Live checkbox is now off by default.
- Development assets are now searchable.
- Show dev themes in use on Themes panel.
- Only show In use pill and Assign section link if more than one theme is present (thanks, phiw13).
- Improve asset deletion/renaming to avoid orphaned content (thanks, phiw13).
- Support for pageless sections. This allows content snippets and creative article flows to be constructed (e.g. parent/child articles stitched together via custom fields) while not exposing pageless content directly via a URL.
- Improve section/category URL scheme (thanks, colak).
- Breadcrumb URL scheme: cat1+cat2 is now cat1/cat2 (thanks, colak).
- Improve category matching and exclusion filters (thanks, colak).
- Restore 4.7
<txp:header>defaults (thanks, Myusername).
<txp:if_request />tag for checking server, URL, POST and cookie variables.
- Added global
replaceattribute to swap out content that has been removed by the
- Added ‘match’ and ‘separator’ attributes to
- Added ‘pg’ and ‘total’ attributes to
- Links have an editable publish time and date on the Links panel (thanks, code365).
- Hive and Classic admin themes now support 3 column layouts.
- Warn if plugin directory is not writable in Diagnostics and Plugins panels (thanks, Destry).
- Support for Bengali, Khmer, Nynorsk and Welsh languages.
- Latest translations: thank you to all contributors via Crowdin.
- Reverted enforced plugin tag registration for another version (or two).
- Textile v3.7.6.
- jQuery File Upload v10.7.0.
- Uglify v3.7.6.
- PrismJS v1.19.0.
Do not use this beta release on a production site unless you have a working backup of both the site’s files and its database and know how to use it.
Please report any issues here, stating the beta version that you are using. Further beta releases may be required prior to 4.8.0 stable release, depending on issues reported.
Make sure that if you deploy this beta release, you also update to the final 4.8.0 version when it is released. We are aiming to release Textpattern 4.8.0 in Q1 2020, pending feedback on this and any subsequent pre-4.8.0 releases.
Thank you for your interest in Textpattern.