I use Textpattern CMS in British English. Occasionally, I remember that Textpattern is localised to 44 languages
Each of these languages is represented by a list of text strings, translated from Textpattern shorthand to user-friendly equivalent words. These lists of text strings are known as Textpacks, and they are maintained by volunteers from the Textpattern user community.
The Textpattern user community needs your help to improve and enhance the Textpacks as part of the upcoming Textpattern 4.6 release. Depending on your language skills, abilities and resources there are many ways to help out:
- Level 0: If you read and write one language fluently from the above list, we need your skills to check the current spelling, grammar and structure in one or more Textpacks.
- Level 1: If you are fluent at Level 0 and have a good understanding of written British English, we need you to check the accuracy of your language Textpack and translate missing, untranslated strings.
- Level 2: If Level 1 isn’t a big enough challenge for you, sign up to be a Textpack Ambassador and be part of the team that handles new translation strings as Textpattern gains new features.
- Level 3: If you are fluent in a language that is not listed above and you are willing to spend time translating approximately 1200 language strings into that language, you will be increasing Textpattern’s worldwide reach into new territories.
Every level of commitment will help thousands of people, and your assistance will be valuable.
Below are some numbers relating to the Textpacks translation status (accurate at time of publication, and subject to change):
- Language strings: 1173
- Language packs: 44
- Total language strings: 51612
- Translated strings: 46388
- Untranslated strings: 5224
- Current completion: 89.87%
95% completion is the current target for the release of Textpattern CMS 4.6. This means at least 49032 translated strings, or fewer than 2580 untranslated strings.
80% of Textpacks should have one or more Ambassadors by the time Textpattern 4.6 is released. This means at least 36 Textpacks should have one or more translators assigned for ongoing translation.
I have created two tables. The first table lists the Textpack and how many strings are not currently translated. The second table lists the Textpack and who is assigned for translation. Both tables are located on the Textpattern Support forum.
If you want to join the team to improve an existing language Textpack or translate Textpattern CMS into another language, please introduce yourself and explain how you want to be involved:
- leave a comment in the forum thread
- or email me
When the team is formed, we will decide the most appropriate way to co-ordinate ongoing work to translate Textpattern with high quality and diverse language packs.
On behalf of the worldwide Textpattern community – thank you!