Thank you to all testers of our first two betas. We’ve nailed a truckload more issues, minor improvements and corner cases so it’s time for the third and hopefully final beta before release.
You can either download from the links below, or from the GitHub project repository directly (please take a minute to ‘star’ our project too if you like it!)
The spiffing demo site courtesy of Pete Cooper allows you to run betas or development versions in complete safety if you don’t wish to apply the beta to your own sites just yet. We’ve had sites running in the wild on dev and beta code for some time so we’re confident it’s robust enough for most situations. The demo is rebuilt every few hours using the new Textpattern 4.7.0 auto-installer.
We encourage you to take a backup of your file system and database then download this beta and help us test this release to make Textpattern the best we can. Thank you in advance for helping and raising any issues on GitHub.
Please note that Textpattern 4.7 requires PHP 5.4 or newer. PHP 7 is highly recommended.
Please see the previous release notes and HISTORY.txt for full details of what’s coming in 4.7.0. Changes in this beta compared to the previous one:
- Fix syntax errors on PHP <5.6 (thanks, makss).
- Included new translations – thank you to all translators who work tirelessly to keep up with our code changes.
- Staff Writer/Freelancer/Designer saving as Live/Sticky gives better notification feedback (thanks, Pete Cooper).
- Sub-Copy Editor-level users can now modify an article immediately after initial save (thanks, Pete Cooper).
- Categories: can no longer reassign the parent of a child element to its children! Avoids infinite tree loops.
- Fixes and UX improvements for lower privilege level users.
- Margin tweaks for UI elements across devices.
- Checkbox and radio button visual tweaks.
- Make ‘new’ links consistent throughout the interface.
- Only show ‘new’ links when on saved Pages, Forms and Styles (thanks, Adi).
- More consistent URL title when duplicating articles.
- Fix Save/Publish button interaction when changing status.
- Hide list options for empty tables.
- Improve panel layout across all privilege levels (thanks, Pete Cooper).
- Tag builder link only appears for authors with sufficient privileges.
- Permit all users to edit per-user prefs.
- Add debug info to article preview step.
- Only show article preview option if privileged.
- Move more panels to Ajax saves.
- Add pagination and search to Plugins panel.
- Fix pagination message when searching boolean values.
- Make search impossible if no fields are chosen.
- Add Textpack preview and tidied plugin preview step.
- Fix installation of language textpacks from plugins (thanks, Adi and jools-r).
- Only show truly active plugins in Diagnostics, and strikethrough plugin status if prefs indicate certain types are inactive (thanks, Uli).
- Alter working theme when saving section asset assignments (thanks, ruud).
- Permit direct manipulation of
$textarrayas an interim fallback for legacy plugins.
- Permit custom field content to be omitted in
<txp:article_custom>based on the
<+>syntax for prepend/append in
<txp:yield>fixes to permit unset attributes.
- Fix Textile use-string-as-array bug (thanks, Pat64).
- Parser performance tweaks.
syncparam to theme callbacks.
- Use correct
txp.prefix for API calls, instead of
Make sure that if you use this beta release, you also update to the final 4.7.0 version when it is released. If you have updated from a previous beta please remember to also go to the Languages panel and update any installed languages if available.
Although we make every effort to ensure Textpattern is as robust as possible, do not use this beta release on a production site unless you have a working backup of both the site’s files and its database and know how to use it.
Please report any issues, stating the beta version that you are using.
Above all, have fun!